How do I explain testing to my child?
Preparing your child for testing will help minimize their anxiety and encourage them to do their best. Children best understand testing as a way for the doctor to understand them and find ways to help. We want your child to be comfortable and motivated on the day of testing. Here are some helpful ways to help prepare him or her:
Some children need reassurance that there are no needles or shots involved.
- Explain to your child that they will be meeting with the psychologist alone.
- They need to appreciate the importance of doing their best even if they do not know the correct answer.
- Try to avoid using the word “test” as it tends to increase anxiety
- Explain that children learn in different ways and that this testing will help you better understand how they learn best
How much will testing cost?
The best answer is that it depends. Testing services are offered at $200/ hour plus any test material cost. This testing rate includes any administration, scoring, interpreting, and reporting. Some evaluations are fairly simple and only require a few hundred dollars while others are much more complex and demand the doctors full day.
If paying out-of-netowrk or privately, a partial payment or full payment may be required on the day of testing, with the balance due when the results are ready. After the full cost of the assessment is paid, you can submit the required information to your plan for reimbursement to you.
For example, some common testing situations:
- Personality functioning (anxiety/depression): Interview, MMPI-2, and report = $500
- Learning Disability Evaluation: interview, record review, IQ, achievment, personality, attention, and report = $1200-1500